Monday, April 7, 2008

Calling It a "Pixie Cut" Is Putting It Nicely

Last week I decided that Anne Elyse's hair was getting a little too long and scragley (is that a word)? I decided to cut it a few inches. I was reluctant, because I wasn't sure if I would be cutting all those sweet curls off but decided it needed to be trimmed at some point, so I might as well do it. I cut it so it was just below her shoulders. There was still a little curl at the end, so that it flipped out. It looked really cute. I was sure to tell her, "Now, only mommy cuts your hair. You don't ever cut your hair." Well, a couple of days later, I was downstairs making dinner, and she comes down the stairs saying all proud, "Mommy, I cut my hair!" When she heard me yell, "You what?!" She ran back upstairs, and when I found her, I started yelling, "No, no, no, no," and crying, then she started crying. I walked into her bathroom and saw chunks of hair everywhere. It was AWFUL. Keith came home furious (he didn't want me to cut it in the first place). The next day I took her to my neighbor who cuts hair, and she tried to fix it up a little bit, but the back is pretty awful - there's a whole section below the crown of her head that is about 1/2 inch short. Austin keeps saying, "Mom, Anne Elyse's hair looks dumb." Well, I know, but we don't need to be telling her that all the time. She's said to me a couple of times, "I don't like my hair." I've tried explaining that's why you don't ever, ever cut your hair but it will grow back and be long again someday.

13 comments:

Tuita Family said...

Hi Katrina! I just found you on Facebook, and now I'm finding out you're a blogger too! I hope you don't mind me "finding you." I swear I'm not a stalker. I just started blogging about a month ago, and I'm finding out that way more people do it then I realized. I just saw Heidi's the other day! Anyways, that's funny and sad about Anne Elyse's hair. I think I need to hide our scissors. I feel like this has happened to quite a few people lately and it's a good warning for me!

Heidi said...

I'm so sorry for you, but I do think Anne Elyse looks very cute! I guess missing the "cutting hair stage" is one reason I should be happy I only have boys!

britni jean said...

what a sweet little girl!

Rachael Case said...

I think every girl goes through this. I know I did, luckily just the bangs, that was bad enough. My niece did the exact same thing as Anne Elyse about a year ago. It's starting to get long again. Good luck growing Anne Elyse's hair out! She's still cute no matter what.

Momma Strain said...

i couldnt believe your voicemail the other day - i tried calling you back. i think it looks cute - like mom said she's so stinkin cute anyways anything looks good on her. You could always give her some prenatal vitamins, my hair has grown almost 1/2" since i got it highlighted a couple weeks ago! i think it looks cute, and it will grow out in no time. I hope Austin doesnt keep harassing her - just remind he HE DID IT TOO! maybe you need to whip out those pictures for a reminder!

Alycia said...

She really does look cute still. Just think of it as a good memory, something you'll laugh at in a few years. Who knows, maybe she'll end up going to beauty school. :)

brenley said...

justin and i were just looking at her picture and both commented about how cute she is! even with short hair she is so cute! my brother's little girl chopped her hair off TWICE super short and it was so sad! i'm glad Anne Elyse still has a cute bob.

Jaime said...

Hi Katrina! I read your post about the Tylenol - what a headache, I'm sure ironically you needed some after all that! That pic at the bottom about avoiding housework by being on the computer - I'm glad to see there are others out there like me :)

Alisha said...

I'm sooo sorry! This is the one and only thing Kendall hasn't done yet. I'm sure I just jinxed myself! Love all the other posts. It's our Spring Break this week. You guys all look like your doing great.

Rachel said...

I need to knock on wood but thus far, even with four girls, we've dodged the self-inflicted and sibling-inflicted haircut situation! I do remember Melissa chopping her hair to the scalp right on top of her head and Matt chopping off his eyelashes...he said they made him look like a girl! Anne Elyse's beautiful eyes are what will get noticed anyways!

carla said...

Aw! She is beautiful anyway. But I do feel your pain. :)

Lindsay said...

Yay! I finally found your blog (I'm a little slow). I gotta say I think Anne Elyse looks adorable with her new haircut. It's funny how once someone has their haircut you start to forget what they used to look like.

Stephanie said...

Chloe did that about a year ago. So, she ended up with some bangs, and some layers. I caught her just in time and then found clumps of hair all over the house for the next few days! Anne Elyse is still beautiful!