Our family tried something new and different for Thanksgiving this year. We've been raising up a few turkeys to have for our dinner! Thanksgiving eve, Keith butchered 2 of the 3 turkeys and we cooked 'em up the next day. I must say I was a little nervous about the whole ordeal, but they turned out pretty tasty. For those of you who are not experts in the art of animal husbandry (ha, ha!), I think I will spare you the details of the whole process. Let's just say, I was not the one to "do the deed," and it was enough to make me consider becoming a vegetarian. Although, I must say, I think for the first time ever I had a real appreciation for the animal that gave it's life so that my family could have a nice dinner. I think when we're able to just go to the store and pick it up, we don't even have to think about it, or choose not to think about the fact that this was a real animal that was killed so that we could eat. It was also a comforting feeling knowing where the animal came from and how it had been treated and fed. Who knows what you're getting when you buy at the store.


From Mr. Turkey's "last supper" to OUR supper!
We went to my Grandma's house in Sequim for Thanksgiving. It was just us, my parents, and my grandma. Yumm-o!
For Christmas we'll be having some home-grown pig. Here's a sneak peak:
8 comments:
Wow that's kinda... I don't know, cool and gross at the same time! How much did they weigh? How did the kids feel about eating Tom on Thanksgiving?
Ramsay's standing behind me as I'm looking at this blog post, and his mouth is watering. He keeps saying, "Oh... DELICIOUS!"
I'm kind of at a loss for words, but I'm glad you had a great Thanksgiving.
Cool! I raised a pig with my dad once when I was little. Thankfully I didn't have to be a part of "doing the deed" either! Looks like you guys had fun.
id rather not know where my food came from. when donavon killed that deer last year and i saw it dangling from my rafters in the garage i lost my appetite for meat for awhile and i'm a total t-rex. it was the same way on trek, we had to kill chickens and eat them and i couldnt eat the meat after standing there watching it die. oohhhh willlllbuurrr.....
That's really awesome, but makes me a little queasy!
You are WAY more brave than me! I'm all about organic, but man, pet turkeys and pigs would be hard to part with... :) I'm sure they were tasty though!
You are brave, I'm not sure I could have done that. I probably would have declared vegetarianism right then and there and kept the turkey as a pet. Did you save on your holiday grocery bill?
Post a Comment