Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Ridiculous

I remember hearing about HBO's series Big Love when it first aired but hadn't really heard much about it since or cared to pay any attention to it. Apparently, the show is still running and the latest is that they are going to be airing what they perceive to be a "temple ceremony." Hearing this definitely fueled some unpleasant feelings for myself, so it was helpful for me to read the church's statement on the issue. Here's the link if you haven't already seen it: (thanks for sending along Aunt Julie).

http://www.newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-publicity-dilemma

Here's something else that's quite ridiculous:

This is what we were doing last week - eating lunch and doing homework outside.

Taking pictures of the first spring flowers:

This is what we did yesterday - make a snowman and lament my beautiful crocuses being crushed under six inches of wet, heavy snow. What happened to spring?!!

"Come what may and love it"... right?

6 comments:

WendyJ said...

Wow! You got a lot of snow up there! I was upset about Big Love, but hopefully viewers will see HBO, its producers (Tom Hanks) for the rude manner in which they behave.

Kathy Rose said...

I'm right there with you on the whole snow thing. It's frustrating seeing it snow again since we got a little taste of Spring. We got 14 inches of snow on Monday. Aghhh!! I just want to spring to get here already!!!

Alisha said...

We don't even have snow on the ground still! Sorry about your flowers but your pics are beautiful. You must be loving your new camera :)

Momma Strain said...

LOL is that a bag of cereal he has? It was almost 70 here the other week then that night it snowed, its been snowing off and on here again too. i'm ready for summer too.

So w/ the HBO thing, I dont know too many people who have HBO to begin with but I bet if the Church didnt make such a huge stink of it people wouldnt really 'know' about it but I think making a stink about it raising curiousity more so more people WILL watch it. Know what I mean? I dunno I guess I'm utahized now and it doesnt phase me to have people freak out or take the church out of context anymore. It like whatever, believe what you want.

Becky said...

I also got a few emails about that Big Love episode. I actually sent HBO an email telling them that I was disappointed in their choice- there is enough fodder for entertainment in the mormon culture w/o mocking sacred beliefs!!
It has been beautiful here, I'm crossing my fingers that it stays that way!!!

madinpursuit said...

I have to admit I'm a big fan of Big Love. This season has shown the dark side of the fundamentalist sects, but I didn't think mainstream LDS was disrespected. The sacred ritual shown was surprising, informative, and beautiful. I didn't think it was mocked. I guess all institutional churches have their problems. As a Catholic, I know! Everything I hear about Mormonism is fascinating to me so I'm always interested in learning more.