Monday, February 6, 2012

Manic Monday...Wish it Were a Fun Day

But not a Sunday, cuz that's not really MY fun day.  The kids had Monday, January 30, off school (AGAIN).  Don't even get me started about how many non-school days we've had around here.  The plan originally was to have a fun day and go to Seattle to meet up with my cousin Monica and her cute new baby and do the Aquarium, but I was too broke to go anywhere.  Yep, I didn't have $80 to go to the Aquarium since Keith pretty much missed a whole week of work due to our snow/ice storm.  There is a silver lining in that cloud though.  He did do a lot of snowplowing and made seven times what he would've made working one week at Auburn Mechanical - yay!!  We just haven't been paid yet.  Anyway, back to the story...

The day didn't start out too bad.  I actually got to sleep in until 9, and it's pretty much a miracle I didn't get woken up by fights over the TV or Xbox.  The fights came anyway around 10 a.m., so off to toy jail the xbox went and out came the chore sticks.  Along with that came LOTS of whining and crying and moaning, which sent me into the speech about how, "Your father and I work very hard and sacrifice a lot so that you kids can have a nice home to live in and nice things, and yada, yada, yada."  Well, maybe it wasn't really a speech, more like a "yelling."  Yeah, I had a little flip out, threatened a lot, and got those kids to working doing the vacuuming, unloading the dishwasher and tidying up.  I then made a phone call to Verizon Wireless.  I shut myself in the bathroom so I could actually hear myself think.  Of course about halfway through the convo, Tori is screaming. She opens the door, I gently shove her out, thinking she's just having a tiff with Tyler.  A few minutes later, I get off the phone and she's STILL screeching, and thank goodness for Anne Elyse or I may have never figured this one out.  She says, "I think she's got pepper in her eye!"  Remembering she had earlier dumped the pepper out all over the table and was  playing in it, my reaction was, "Oh, sh**!"  That was exactly what had happened.  I grabbed her to start rinsing her eyes in the bathroom sink.  The poor girl didn't know what I was trying to do.  All she knew was that her eyes wre on fire and her mom was trying to drown her.  After that, she was really screaming.  I ran upstairs and did a quick google search on "black pepper in eyes."  One thing I read said to try milk.  So I tried that.  Then I started panicking that maybe this could be dangerous and could make her blind or something.  So I called the nurse's line with our doctor's office, and they immediately connected me to Poison Control, which kind of freaked me out.  They said I did the right thing by putting milk on her eyes and that it will probably just be irritated but not cause any damage.  By this time she started to calm down, but she's was MAD at me and wouldn't let me hold her. It was the saddest thing.  She was curled up on the floor with her night night and thumb in her mouth, and wouldn't let anybody hold her, not even sissy.

Today is Monday (AGAIN), but I have to say it was a good day, even though our power was out for most of the day (AGAIN).  But it forced me to slow down a bit and take some time with Tyler and Tori.  We went to the library and then played at the park, because it was SUNNY and 60 today (in February?).  We also wrestled a bit on the couch. :)  I got a huge mound of laundry folded, and we even had a non-hectic dinner/homework/FHE night.  We had a good little lesson out of the Friend, and I made sugar cookies with frosting.  I spent a lot of time today thinking about the two little Powell boys who lost their lives yesterday. (http://www.king5.com/news/local/Gasoline-found-all-over-the-house-of-Josh-Powell-138812474.html)  I believe the grandparent's of these boys are in our stake.  My friend Shelby who plays the piano for me in primary is very good friends with Susan's family, and she is really shaken up about it.  I didn't know the family personally, but the story breaks my heart, and made me hug my kids a little tighter today.  Austin even told me tonight that I had "nice hair."  He says, "I like how you have it curled at the ends and the barrette with the hair pulled back at the top."  LOL.  Well, thank you!!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I lock myself in the bathroom on occasion! Glad yesterday went smoother than the week before...parenting, it is crazy stuff!You do such a good job, though! xxoo