Friday, December 19, 2008

Baby, It's Cold Outside!


This week has felt like I'm living back in Rochester. It was about 12 degrees Tuesday morning, and we had a little bit of snow and some ice. Wednesday night we got about 5 or 6 inches of snow on top of what we had. The kids had a two-hour late start Tuesday and then school has been cancelled the rest of the week. This means we now have a three week Christmas break instead of two...yikes. I think I will soon be counting down the days until they return on January 5. :) Usually when it snows around here it may stick around for a day or two and then quickly melt away. This stuff is here to stay for a little bit I think. This morning was 19 degrees outside and we're supposed to get another big storm Sunday with 70 m.p.h. winds. On the to-do list today: getting prepared for a power outage. Personally, I much prefer the "normal" high for this time of year of 45. I think I'm officially a wuss now when it comes to the cold!

But we've had fun making snowmen, snow angels, and doing lots of sledding on the big hill behind our house, and I must say it's made for a very cozy week at home making cookies and sipping hot cocoa. It's also very BEAUTIFUL to look at. Especially today with the sun out and the mountains all around - it's gorgeous!

Daddy has also had fun this week making some extra money with his snowplow. Well, plowing for 24 hours straight isn't fun, but earning some extra cash is! :) He had about 3 1/2 hours of sleep between Tuesday and Thursday night with work at Mac-Donald Miller, school, and plowing. You know, our neighbors laughed at us when they saw us unload that plow from the moving truck, but we're sure glad we brought it. It's been put to use!

8 comments:

WendyJ said...

It sure is!! Wow, I did not expect this in Seattle. Driving in the snow is one thing, driving on all these hills is another. Scary. We're getting cabin fever at our house.

Meagan said...

Who would've guessed Keith could pick up business in Seattle with the snow plow?! That's awesome! And good time for the kiddos to play in the snow. Well, good time for them...but pain in the neck for you...getting them in and out of snow gear all day plus extra laundry from wet clothes...ugh. :) Enjoy the holidays and we'll see you in a week and a half!

Becky said...

We had a snow day yesterday too!! But the kids do have school Mon and Tues next week, good thing for me:) Are you ready for Christmas? I was stressing out this week wondering if I have equal gifts for everyone... it can get complicated with 3 boys in a row because they like the same things...
Hope you have a wonderful Christmas Katrina!

Monica said...

SNOW!!! Don't you just love it! Brace yourself - they say a big one is coming tonight!

Momma Strain said...

LOL ya whos laughing now? i bet those neighbors where wishing they had one to make a lil extra cash for xmas! donavon's brother has guys plow for him and he only pays them $12 an hour haha! suckers...

Alisha said...

Glad you are a wuss now when it comes to the cold! I'm sure the city just shuts down in moments like that. One of the schools here started on Friday and then ended up sending everybody home after 2 hrs. I felt bad for the super. because they had him on every news station saying what a bad call he made! What is Keith going to school for? Did I miss something? See my post on just one of the reasons I wished you still and your plow still lived here

Stephanie said...

Keith can come plow us out any time! (We're stuck with the Lindseys on the good workouts)! Jason's poor back!

Alisha said...

Ok, go look at my blog I tagged you.