The "secret" ingredients are the almond flavoring and cream of tarter. If your sugar cookie recipe doesn't have these two ingredients, I can guarantee they're not as good as these!
Ingredients:
1 c. butter (do not substitute with Crisco)
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cream of tarter
Cream butter and powdered sugar. Add egg, mix until fluffy. Add vanilla and almond, stir. Add dry ingredients. Blend well. Chill for 2-3 hours.
Divide dough in half and roll out to 1/4" thick. Cut with cookie cutters. Sprinkle with colored sprinkles or frost when done. Bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown on edges.
If you choose to frost, I just use the typical ingredients: little bit of butter, powdered sugar, little bit of milk and vanilla and almond flavoring, and then food coloring for whatever color you're making.
Favorite #2 : Primroses on my front porch in February! That's right Seattleites, you can have a pot of REAL flowers on your front porch in the middle of winter! The stores usually start to sell them around mid January. You can get them just about anywhere, Rite Aid, Albertson's, Fred Meyer. As long as you keep them up on your porch, close to the house, they should be just fine (mine have already survived a couple of cold spells we've had). If you don't forget to water them, they will last through March or even later.
And, if you haven't guessed already by my fabulous pictures, favorite #3 is my new camera!! After a few months of research and deliberation on the cost and if I should spend, I went for it and picked up a new digital SLR, Nikon D60. Lovin' it!
One last shot - this little crocus flower appeared in my yard this week. A sure sign that spring is on its way!
9 comments:
AWESOME camera!! i'm a little jealous. ;)
I have the Nikon D40 and LOVE it too!! Great pics...makes photography fun, huh?
Oh, I forgot...the cookies sound delicious. I need to try them. I think I might tomorrow. If you are ever in the mood to switch it up a bit try using lemon extract (Rob's mom does that) in place of the almond in the cookies and then add a little almond to the frosting...
Yes! I had cookies at your Mom's last Spring and I asked for her secret then. :) Yes - flowers are on their way! I can't wait to plant some outside our building!
cool pictures! did your camera come with lenses or did you have to buy them?
I will have to pick up some flowers. I love Feb. in Seattle! Is it just me or is the sun brighter here than in NY? I think everyone has their best ever sugar cookie recipe. My secret ingredient is nutmeg.
totally gonna try those cookies! And I've been trying to get Curtis to buy me a Nikon d60 for awhile! the pictures are gorgeous!
I was going to ask if you got a new camera! The pictures are great. And I agree I use that same Betty Crocker recipe and they are so good.
I am so jealous of your flowers growing and spring around the corner for you! I know we've still got a long long time to wait for that.
Congrats on the new camera! And I will definitely be trying out that sugar cookie recipe, thanks for sharing it.
Post a Comment