Friday, July 31, 2009

Splendid Seven!


Austin turned 7 on July 28. He was born on a muggy Sunday afternoon, at Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, New York, at 6 lbs. 15 oz. Now he is tall and skinny (just like his mom used to be) and around 65 pounds and ready to enter the 2nd grade!! We thought he was a beautiful baby, and I remember being surprised at how big and beautiful his eyes were. Where'd he get those eyes? He still has BIG BROWN eyes, and he's a pretty cute boy we think.

Austin is a very unique individual. Here are some things he's into right now:

Show: The Military Channel
Play: pretend play that almost always revolves around policemen, firemen, or army men.
Food: You are a GREAT eater! (again inherited from your mom :) You've been eating salad since you were 3, and will eat most anything mom makes for dinner (unlike your siblings).

You are very curious and inquisitive. You know your way around town better than most adults. You have an amazing memory and pay attention to details. Just the other day, you informed me what kind of mattress Papa and Grandma have (we just purchased a new one ourselves). What seven year old knows what kind of mattress his grandparents sleep on?! :) Because of your curiosity, and to literally keep you from seriously injuring or killing yourself or somebody else, our house is in a continual lockdown. We have three safes, with three separate codes, padlocks on the back gates and storage shed, master bedroom door locked with key, and double deadbolt on the front door (for those of you who have come knocking on our door, you know how it goes: wait a minute while Katrina hunts down the key to be able to let you in). The most recent safe purchased for concealing the key to the garage, we've had to change the code twice because you've figured it out! You are very aware of what is "appropriate" and "not appropriate" and are quick to correct others in that regard (even though you don't always make the best choice yourself :). You are a "Daddy's boy" and love to do whatever dad is doing, run errands with him, and go hiking with him and the scouts (you are a better hiker than most of the 12 year-olds dad goes with). Here's to a splendid seventh year!

Happy Birthday, bud!

We went to the Big Four Ice Caves on Sunday. There used to be an old hotel here that burned down, and only the chimney is still standing. You were very curious about this! Here you are with dad figuring out WHY it burnt down and WHAT happened!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Such a cute kid! Lizzie will enjoy this post. Wish we were closer...I think they'd have a lot fun together! XXOO

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Austin! You are one good looking boy and smart as a whip too!

Alisha said...

Happy Birthday! I agree, he is completely a handsome boy. Who can argue with those eyes!

Momma Strain said...

Splendid eh? I'll ask you next year if it was splendid :) I cant believe he's going into 2nd grade. They grow up too fast. Issac got into some anti aging cream and I thought, well maybe it will keep him a baby longer! I'll have to bring something up for him for his birthday when I come. Maybe something Army related... I'm sure I could find something at the PX/BX....