Sunday, November 21, 2010

Lion House Rolls


I'll be making these this week! I thought I had previously posted this recipe to my blog, but apparently not! If you're wanting to make homemade rolls for Thanksgiving, this is the Lion House recipe that I got from my friend Hope last year, and they are delicious!

Ingredients:

2 c. warm water (110-115 degrees)
2/3 c. non-fat dry milk
2 tbsp. dry yeast
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. butter
1 egg
5-6 c. all purpose flour or bread flour

In a large mixing bowl, combine water and yeast until yeast dissolves. Add non-fat dry milk, sugar, salt, butter, egg, and 2 cups of flour. Mix on low speed until ingredients are wet, then mix 2 min. at medium speed, the dough will be smooth. Mix by hand another 1-2 c. of flour; dough will be getting stiff and remaining flour may need to be mixed 1/2 c. at a time after the first 3-4 c. of flour. Dough should be soft, not overly sticky, and not stiff. It's not necessary to use the entire amount of flour. The dough will be smooth and elastic. Knead for 5 minutes, adding a little bit of flour if needed.

Place the dough in a well greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and then a warm, wet towel. Place the bowl someplace warm until double in size (about an hour). Push down dough and knead it for 1 min. with a little bit of flour. Divide dough into 3 sections. Roll out dough into a circle. With a pizza cutter (or sharp knife), cut out 12 triangles. Starting with the wide end of the triangle, roll up dough into a crescent, tucking the small end underneath the roll (so it won't unravel when it rises). Repeat process and place onto a greased cookie sheet and allow to rise and double in size (about 30 min. or so).
Bake at 375 degrees for 15-18 minutes, or until light or golden brown. Brush with melted butter right after they come out of the oven. Makes 3 dozen or 1 1/2 dozen if you wan them to be bigger.

*Hope's Notes:
Yeast: I use SAF Perfect Rise Yeast, you can buy it at Williams-Sonoma. It's not that expensive. It comes in a little box. It's the best I've ever used, and I haven't looked back.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Yummy! Emily is the roll maker at our house. SHe practiced and practiced last year for one of her personal progress projects and is really quite good at it. In fact, as I type she is mixing up a batch for YW in Excellence tonight. We all benefit! Lion House rolls rock! Happy Thanksgiving!

Lauralee said...

yum! you can get that yeast at Winco too... I looked all over for it before I found out Winco sells it!
Hope you are staying warm!