Monday, December 27, 2010

Tyler Gets Glasses




A few months ago, Keith said to me, "Tyler has crazy eyes!" I was like, "What are you talking about?!" Then I started paying more attention to his eyes and sure enough his right eye would wander out towards the side of his head occasionally (but not A LOT). Then of course I was feeling guilty that I, as his mother, was not paying enough attention to even notice this. So, hoping that it was not that big of a deal, I thought, we'll just watch it, and I also knew he had an eye screening coming up at school. He had the screening, and nothing was sent home saying that he had any issues. I even told his teacher I had some concerns about his eyesight and asked her if she was sure there wasn't anything unusual or concerning that came up at their eye exam. She said no. So, about a month later, he had his 5-year well child visit at the pediatrician, and Tyler did the eye chart just fine with his left eye, but when we tested his right eye he clammed up and wouldn't answer what any of the letters on the chart were. The doctor said let's get him checked out by an opthamologist just to be sure. The day of his appointment was the day of our big snow storm, so we had to cancel and reschedule. Finally, we got to the doctor a couple of weeks later, and to my surprise, the doctor said his eyesight in his right eye is VERY poor. I was kind of shocked actually. The doctor asked if he did a lot of squinting, and I was like, "Yeah! He does!" In fact, one of his nicknames is Ty Ty the stink eye, because he always looks like he's giving you the stink eye. So, now he has glasses and he also has to wear an eye patch on his left eye, which even though the eyesight is still much better on that side, still not perfect. Basically the patch will retrain the brain to look through the bad eye and hopefully strengthen it. Poor guy. I'm glad we caught it now so that when he starts to learn how to read soon, he'll be able to see. He looks pretty cute in them as you can see, and he's been very good about wearing them. When he put them on for the first time, his face lit up and he got a big grin on his face. I asked him, "Can you see now?!" and he said, "Yes!!"

2 comments:

April said...

Adam is doing the same thing! He got glasses in September and we started patching about 6 weeks ago. He is three. The only reason we caught it is because he has a very small cataract in his eye that he was born with, so we've been going to the ophthalmologist every year since he was born. Good luck with the patching, it's no fun but the Dr. told us, if we do it right, we will be improving his vision for the rest of his life.

Momma Strain said...

So its been a few weeks in, is he still loving them? I think he looks smart ;)