Tuesday, March 1, 2011

16 Months...And a Little Sidenote About Photography!

I took this picture today of Ms. Victoria. She is 16 months today on March 1! What a cutie pie.

I finally figured out how to make my corners rounded in PSE (Photoshop Elements). Keith got me PSE 9 for Christmas, and I've slowly been figuring things out. Back when I was using the free GIMP software, I knew how to do it, but PSE is totally different. The main reason I wanted to get PSE instead of continuing to use GIMP is because there are so many awesome "actions" you can get for free or purchase for photo editing with PSE. With GIMP, there are no actions, or very few.

I love my digital SLR camera, but lately I have really been wanting to upgrade, but I don't think I can justify the cost (like $2,000+) unless I'm going to get more serious about photography and maybe earn some money doing it, which, realistically, I'm not sure fits into my family life right now. I'm trying really hard lately to be more focused and recommitted to the Lord and my family and stop being such a procrastinator and lazy. Though, believe me, it's kind of impossible to be lazy when you have four little children!

So, even though I think this picture isn't bad, I can still see the "noise" in it and that bugs me. The two things that drive me nuts about my camera are that it doesn't have a very high ISO, which you need in order to reduce the noise in a picture when you're shooting indoors unless you have really great natural light. But when you live in one of the most overcast cities in the country that can be hard to achieve with low ISO. I should probably do some research on using a speedlight to see if that might help my situation (I don't know much about that as of now). The second thing that drives me crazy is that the lens I really want (50mm, 1.8) that lets you get close up and yet gives you that nice blurry background will not work with my camera. Well, it will work, but you have to manually focus with it, which is not an ideal situation. Maybe I should shop around and see if I could get a used camera? My dream camera would be the Nikon D700! I currently have the D60.

2 comments:

Momma Strain said...

I thought it was an old shot of Tyler for a second before I read your post! You can bring your camera in April and play around, I wont mind!

Meagan said...

Cute pic! Btw, you talked me into keeping my SLR. Well....along with almost everyone else! :) It is such a nice camera and although I don't have the time right now to really learn how to manually use it, I know at some point in the future I will.