Tuesday, June 21, 2011

School's Out, Scream and Shout!

(You know the High School Musical song, right?) Here's hoping the neighbors won't be hearing me "scream and shout" too much this summer. I have mixed feelings and, admittedly, a bit of anxiety over summer break. I really do look forward to school being out: not being on a schedule, fun vacations, trips to the beach, and all the (good) memories that come from being out of school for 2 1/2 months; however, it's a challenge for me to have all four kids home every day all day long (this is the anxiety part). I stress about the thought of fighting kids, too much TV and not enough reading, a messy house (you know they go through 10 outfits a day when they're out playing in the sprinkler, etc.), and getting them to do their chores.

It's gonna be good though. Opposition in all things, right? The inevitable not-so-good days will help me cherish the good days.

Things we have on the calendar:
Our New York cousins are coming next week!! We haven't seen them in 3 years. So looking forward to that.

Our trip to Great Falls, Montana, over 4th of July weekend (w/ NY cousins) to visit great-grandma Mang and see Keith's dad and his wife who just moved there from NY a few weeks ago. It will be nice to have Keith's dad a lot closer now.

Annual Fuller trip to Lake Roosevelt (going for 5 days this time!)

Other things we want to do:
take a hike and/or do camping up at Mt. Rainier

go to Steilacoom beach (and possibly Jetty Island)

take Papa's boat out on Lake Washington

go to Wild Waves

take a trip to Sequim

get a trampoline!

Take a road trip to Utah with just me and the kids. O.K., not very realistic, I know. Every year I fantasize about doing this, and I always chicken out. Every year I think, "Maybe next year when the kids are a bit older." It's a 13 hour drive (I'd break it up by staying a night in Boise), but I just don't know how it would go all by myself with 4 little kids. Maybe this will be the year?! Anybody want to do it with me?

I'm also looking forward to just hanging out at home. I love having a bit of land to let the kids run free and roam (no worries about them getting hit by a car). I love that they can come and go from the house, and I don't have to stress about that. When we lived in Lake Stevens I was always stressing about, "Where are the kids?" and threatening them they had to stay in the back yard.

And speaking of summer kicking off, we took a trip to Lake Chelan over Father's Day weekend...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe that is why I feel like we never do anything. I need to make a list! Your list sounds very fun!

Melanie said...

You can totally drive to Utah yourself! I have done it many times but my kids prefer to go straight through. We have never stopped overnight. We are in Utah right now and debated only driving halfway and camping one night but the kids all vetoed that idea. The key is leave really early; rent 5 Redbox movies; and make sure you have lots of good snacks!