We stayed with my sister for the first few days, and then as my parents and my brother and his family arrived, we moved out and up to Uncle Shane's to give them more space at Eleasa's. We got to spend a day at the water park with Uncle Kyle & Auntie Lindsey and their boys, did some shopping and hanging out before the reunion officially started on Friday afternoon.
We kicked off with a lunch/get together at a park in North Salt Lake that had a spray pad for the kids. It was the first time we had all been together since my Grandpa died in September 2000. We were all there except my cousin Miles who wasn't able to leave his position in Armenia (he works for the State Department), but his wife Sienna and their little boy were there.


That night we had an "adults only" catered dinner at my Aunt Gloria and Uncle Craig's BEAUTIFUL home in Holladay. I was sad Keith couldn't be there for that, but his flight came in that night around 10 p.m. I left from there to pick him up at the airport, and nothing like being a single mom for a few days and traveling 900 miles with your kids that will make you glad to see your husband! No pictures from this event. It was kind of a balance for me to be the "designated photographer" and still be able to visit and enjoy myself.
Saturday morning we had pictures at the park in Bear River City. I was in charge of pictures, which was a bit nerve wracking for me...mostly I was nervous about getting the big group pic of everyone - I think there were about 50 of us total. The picture turned out mediocre. Would have been better if I had the camera I currently have (got a new camera, yay)! Also didn't help that I had never been to the location before and there was no solid shade to be found...lots of dappled light under trees, also not good. Oh, well.
Grandma with all of her great-grandkids. Little Miles on the left freaking out - classic.
From there, we gathered at the Bear River cemetery where several of my ancestors are buried, and my mom and Uncle Mike told some stories about their history, and how they joined the church in Denmark and then came to America - some at great sacrifice. Also the people that currently live in my Grandma's farmhouse she grew up in, kindly let us have a tour of the house and gather in their front yard to hear some stories and history of my Grandma's growing up days. While there, I definitely felt my great-grandpa (Austin) Johnsen and his wife Victoria (whom my kids are both named after) there, and felt the Spirit witness to me that they are SO proud of all their posterity that was gathered there - that we have brought them great joy! Families are definitely forever. And that whole weekend I felt proud to have come from such great, strong, hardworking, faithful, grandparents.
Original steeple from the Bear River City meetinghouse.
Grandma's childhood home.
From there, we drove a short distance to Beaver Dam, where my Grandpa Henderson grew up. His dad, my great-grandpa Archie Henderson was in charge of the dam there. We didn't get to see the house (it was in disrepair), but we did get to see the dam (it is still in operation). We gathered on the lawn of this beautiful church building to hear some stories from Uncle Mike.
From there, we headed up to Logan,Utah (what pretty town that is...I've always said I'd like to live there). We gathered at the cemetery there and heard more stories about the Hendersons.
Finally, we ended the day with Grandma treating everyone to a YUMMY dinner at famous Maddox's Restaurant. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Sunday Keith was to fly home late, so we spent the day with his family. Auntie Kathy & Uncle Rich hosted an awesome "taco bar" and their beautiful home in Spanish Fork. It was really fun to see Oupa & Granny Rayner, Dallas and Becca, Tressie, Kyle & Lindsey with their boys, and also Uncle Shane, Kay, and Keith's mom and Bruce were there (they flew up to Seattle a couple of days later). We always have a good time with them - they are fun. I didn't take any pictures when we were there. I should have!









Grandma with her 4 kids and their spouses.
Grandma with all of her grandkids (minus Miles).
Grandma with her grandkids and their spouses.



1 comment:
Thanks Katrina, you did a beautiful job of the reunion and Austins birthday. Brought back lots of summer memories that feel extra nice on this chilly December morning. Thanks again for your time with all the pictures, you have a gift.
Post a Comment