Friday, May 16, 2008

Our Baby Chicks


So, I'm the proud new mother of 21 baby chicks! (It used to be 22, but the dog already ate one...poor chicky). They are pretty cute, don't you think? This is Keith's latest hobby/business venture, but the kids and I get to enjoy them and take care of them. All the kids love it, especially Tyler. He walks around the house all day saying, "I want chicken." So now that we have 3 horses, 21 chicks, and 1 dog, I'm wondering what's next?! I've started calling Keith: Farmer Mang. I tease him and ask if this is an early mid-life crisis, if he's reverting back to his roots (he spent a lot of time on his grandparent's ranch in Great Falls, Montana, where he grew up). Though we plan to sell the chicks soon, I told Keith I want to keep a couple of the hens in the back yard in a coop to have fresh eggs. How cool would that be? I'm wondering if real farm girls keep their hand sanitizer close by? Whenever the kids pet/hold the chicks, I'm always like, "Don't touch your face! Did you touch the chicks? You need to put hand sanitizer on! Put you hand sanitizer on!"

4 comments:

Rachael Case said...

They're so cute! Isaac would love to buy some of your chicks, but I doubt they'd make it cross country. Someone he works with has some in his backyard in a subdivision, kinda crazy... but fun. Apparently a good website to check out is http://www.backyardchickens.com/ or so I'm told.

Alycia said...

That's so cool!

Rachel said...

Who knew that my two cute "city" cousins would end up in Dugway, Utah and with a chicken coop in their backyard! That is awesome! XXOO

Momma Strain said...

ok i was talking to grandma and she mentioned chicks and i was like did she fall off her rocker this week? and dad emailed me back after mom mentioned you were getting 2 hens and said 'no she has 21 chicks TOO' i was like what the heck!?

so what is this business venture? just sell them once they get big? our neighbor has 2, and diesel goes after them all the time.