Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9/11

Every year on this day, I think about the year 2001, where I was, and how I felt about the events that took place. It always brings a sadness to my heart to think about all who lost their lives. I think it's important that we never forget what happened that day. Here's my small story...

In 2001 we were living in upstate New York. I had just arrived to work around 8:30 a.m. Oddly, a few people, including my boss, were gathered around my desk, looking very subdued and talking quietly. I asked, "What's wrong?" My boss said a plane had just hit one of the twin towers in NYC. At first I was thinking it must have just been a small, private plane. No. He said it had been a commercial airliner. Then we heard another plane had hit! What the heck is going on?? We went downstairs to the conference room to turn the TV on. Pretty soon almost everybody in the Administration building was gathered in that room, and we all watched in shocked silence as we witnessed live on television the towers collapse. It soon became pretty clear that this had been a terrorist attack. That is the first time I ever remember not feeling safe as a citizen of the U.S. That night, Keith and I stayed glued to the television and both cried for those who had lost their lives.


The World Trade Center in the background. This picture was taken July 2001 on a trip we took to NYC. Who would've ever thought two months later these towers would no longer exist? Where were you on 9/11/2001?

8 comments:

Alisha said...

Great post. I was in Chandler, AZ getting ready for work. I had just had Jayden and was nursing her and watching the today show. I couldn't look away from the TV and was 2 1/2 hrs late for work.

Jaime said...

It was crazy! We had just moved from Utah to New Hampshire about a month prior & I was watching Barney with my oldest then who was 13 months old. I was in absolute shock! That is something I will definitely NEVER forget - that and the OJ verdict, right?!

Becky said...

I remember that morning so clearly, I was a few months into my pregnancy with Ethan and I remember thinking about the scary world this baby was coming into.
It was horrible to watch the towers collapse.

Becky said...

Oh, and love the music! A couple of those songs I remember dancing in our room at Ricks! good memories!

Jenni said...

I remember being in Boise, ID and driving to work. I heard something about it on the radio but didn't really understand what was going on till I got to work. Then I remember call Roger and telling him about it. He was home sleeping after working a night shift. Then I remember calling my Mom also and I distinctly remember her unbelief as I told her what was happening. That was a very sobering time. Hard to believe something like that happened to our country.

Brandi said...

I was in my car driving to work when I heard the news on the radio. Every hair on my arms stood up even though I rationed in my mind that it must have been a small, private plane. When I got to work all three breakrooms were filled with employees watching it all unfold on TV. For the next two weeks I cried more than I ever had in my life. It's sobering to look at the photo of Keith with the towers in the background because all these years later I still can't believe they're gone. We must never forget!

Momma Strain said...

Mom was driving me to seminary and we heard it on the radio. I was like what kind of idiot flies into a building? How can you not see it?? But by the time I got to 1st period (US History) We had the TV on and watched the 2nd plane hit and we all just sat there in silence as our teacher told us that the world would never be the same after that day and we just witnessed major history. He was right, it isnt the same!

Gloria said...

Great post and great picture...Justin and Melissa have some pictures of the twin towers that we took the summer of 2000 plus a penny, with the imprint of the "towers" that Melissa had made at the top of one of the towers. I walked into the kitchen from taking Melissa to school and saw plane one hit the first tower...thinking what an awful accident...it must be a small plane...a few moments later plane two hit and I knew instantly it was a terrorist attack. Watching those towers crumble and collapse and knowing the carnage, death, suffering was almost more than I could bear...our world was definitely changed forever!