
Well, since I haven't made a post for almost two weeks, and our lives have been relatively uneventful, well not really uneventful, but nothing fun that I care to post about lately, I thought I'd post our family's recipe for salsa and chimichangas, per the request of my friend Carrie. So, Carrie this one's for you! I also must add a little history regarding this recipe. This is actually my dad's concoction. He loves Mexi food (his nickname is Poncho), so he decided probably about 10 years ago to start experimenting on how to make salsa. No family event, especially in the summertime, is complete without Dad's salsa. The chimichangas are Keith's idea. He did serve his mission in Mexico, so he does know a little about the cusine. Here you go:
For the salsa:
12-15 plum tomatoes (plums are usually less "watery" than other kinds)
1-2 jalepenos
1 medium to large size white onion
fresh cilantro
fresh garlic
2-3 limes
salt & pepper
Let me first say, this is kind of a recipe you have to make a few times and experiment with the ratios of the ingredients (how you like it to taste). But this is the general idea: cut the tomatoes being sure to remove "the insides", then dice them. Chop the onion, add. Remove the cilantro leaves from their stems, and chop. Add. Chop or press 2-3 garlic cloves, add. Chop the jalepenos. Now this can be tricky. If you don't like it very spicy, then only use like a half of one, and not very many seeds. If you like it spicier, then you'd use more (you get the idea). Squeeze the juice from the limes, add. Combine all together. Salt & pepper to tase.
For the chimichangas: Place 2-3 chicken breasts in the crockpot, add around 1/4 c. of water, then add approx. 1/4 c. taco seasoning. Let cook for about 8 hours. When the chicken is cooked, shred.
Once your meat and salsa is done, you add a little bit of chicken, the salsa, and monterrey jack cheese (or pepper jack) on a flour tortilla (the bigger size works best). Roll it up and secure with toothpicks. Deep fry in hot vegetable oil (I know this sounds super greasy, but it's so good). Top with sour cream and guacamole.
3 comments:
I'll attest that Poncho's salsa is great! As for the chimis, I think they'll be on the menu next week...they sound great plus I can't pass up a good crockpot recipe!
Katrina you rock! We have company this week, I 'm going to make them! They are from Russia and need to try awesome mexican food!Are you guys coming to NY this year?
I love you guys for posting this! We miss this meal!!!! Matt was just asking if I thought I could pull off Keith chimichangas and I told him only if he would stand by with a fire extinguisher :) Makes us miss you more.
Post a Comment