Monday, October 20, 2008

Getting Started With Digital Scrapbooking

I've had several people ask me how I do my scrapbook pages that are posted to my blog and facebook account, so I thought I'd just share what I've figured out as I've tried to become a digital scrapbooker! I love digital scrapbooking because it's less mess and "stuff" to buy and store, it's inexpensive, it's a lot faster, and it's a creative outlet for me. Now, I'm not claiming to be an expert. I'm sure there are a lot more people who have more smarts about this than I do, but this is just what I've figured out as I've researched it:

First of all, you MUST have a software that supports layers, such as Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. Now before you start seeing big $$ signs, let me just say I discovered a FREE program that will work just the same for digital scrapbooking. It's called GIMP. And if you're wondering what the heck I mean by "layers," the process of digital scrapbooking is basically piling image after image on top of each other until you get the desired layout you want.

The program I use, GIMP, I discovered on the internet, when I wasn't sure if I wanted to invest the money to purchase Photoshop (very pricey). Although, I'm pretty sure you can get Elements at Costco for not too much money (around $80 - $100 I think). I'm sure there are other similar programs as well that I'm not aware of. If you'd like to try GIMP, you can download it for free at www.gimp.org.

Now, unless you are already familiar with photoshop or another similar program, you probably won't be able to jump right in and know how to use GIMP. For me, there was a little bit of a learning curve in getting comfortable with using this program(and I consider myself pretty computer savvy). But now that I've used it quite a few times, I think it's super easy. I took a few tutorials at www.scrapbooksgonedigital.com. Of course, if you already have Photoshop or Elements, you're all set to go, assuming you know how to use it. If not, there are a lot of tutorials you can take on the web. If you go to any of the digital scrapbooking sites I mention in the next paragraph you will find plenty of help.

You can purchase digital "paper" and embellishments available for download at a lot of different sites, and a lot of times you can get free stuff. A few of my favorite sites are:

www.scrapgirls.com
www.shabbyprincess.com
www.scrapbooksgonedigital.com

Typcially, you can buy a pack of "paper" and "embellishments" anywhere from $2 - $15.

Lastly, you can print the pages that you design. Costco actually prints 12x12 size pages. So, if you want to have an actual book, you can upload your photos to their site, they will print them, and then you can pick them up. It's been awhile since I've done this, but I think it's about $3 per page. Then you can purchase a 12x12 photo album or scrapbook to put them in.

Now, I obviously can't "show" you how I do the pages, but hopefully I've given enough information here that if you really want to do it, you have the tools and information you need to get right to work. Happy Scrapbooking!

3 comments:

Meagan said...

I'm totally inspired!! Thanks for taking the time to type all that out. This is going to become my new project...can't wait to get started. :)

carla said...

your background and scrapbooking look great.

Anonymous said...

We, too, have made the move to digital. It's great, though my hubby's such a perfectionist it actually takes him LONGER to do a book than before! Your blog is darling...I wonder if I could get Tim to do all the cutesy stuff one day (hah)! At least the man's doing my memory books!