Saturday, October 25, 2008

This Tooth Fairy Thing Is Complicated!

(He was having a hard time keeping his tongue in his mouth while posing for the "lost tooth" picture)!

Austin lost his very first tooth after school last Tuesday. He was so excited, and so was I telling him, "Now the tooth fairy will visit you tonight!" We put the tooth in a plastic baggie, and I put it up to keep it in a safe place. Well, he wanted to put it under his pillow right away. I said, "Maybe we should keep it in a safe place, and you can put it under your pillow right before you go to bed tonight." No, he wanted it under his pillow right NOW. I decided not to choose this battle, and he put it under his pillow. So, a few hours later, we're getting ready for bed, and this is how it goes:

Austin, holding up an empty plastic baggie: "Mom!! My tooth is gone!"
Me: "Well, that's why I wanted you to keep it in a safe place."
Austin: "You're right, mom." Yeah, right! In my fantasy world! No it was more like wailing and gnashing of teeth, "Where is it?!!"
Me: "All right, calm down. Let's looks for it," all the while trying to think what I'm going to tell him if the tooth isn't found. After searching his room, I say, "You know what? I bet she already came and got it!"
Austin: "Yeah! She probably did!
Me, in my head: Phew.
Austin: "But where's my money?"
Me, in my head: Crap, then: "Well, maybe she had to leave real quick, because she was afraid she was going to get caught. She'll come back tonight and leave your money. She only leaves the money when you're fast asleep though, so you'd better get in bed."

Austin happily got ready for bed, and tried really hard to go to sleep. He kept coming downstairs saying he can't go to sleep. After a few times, he got really frustrated and says, "I am NOT going to sleep until that Tooth Fairy comes!" At this point it's going on 9 p.m., and I know this kid has got to get to sleep or he's going to be a beast tomorrow, and I'll never be able to get him out of bed for school. So, I sneak away and write this note:


I'm also digging in my wallet for any spare change I have. I end up raiding Anne Elyse's piggy bank, and come up with 7 dimes.

Then, I go upstairs, pretending to start a load of laundry. I start the washing machine, then making sure the coast is clear, I dash into Austin's room and put the loot under his pillow. Then I casually go downstairs, and say sternly, "Austin, go get in bed." Again, he says, "I am NOT going to bed until she comes!" I march him upstairs, and of course he checks under his pillow and...Viola!"

Austin: "Mom, she came!"

It was kind of cute to see how happy he was to get the note and dimes, but then he goes, "How come she didn't leave me any CASH?" Then it was a barrage of questions:

"How'd she get in my room?"
"How big is she?"
"What does she wear?"
"Where does she live?"
And my favorite, after sniffing the note (Austin has a super-sniffer), "Did she use crayon to write this note? What kind of crayon does she use?"
Me: "Fairy crayons! Now go to sleep!"

When Keith got home from work about a half hour later, he says, "Now what are you going to tell him if he finds the tooth?" Let's just say, the next day I vacuumed Austin's room really good!

10 comments:

Meagan said...

That's awesome! I'll totally have to remember your tricks when Alec loses his first tooth. My favorite is Austin sniffing the note to see what the tooth fairy wrote it with...hilarious! :)

Rachel said...

Our tooth fairy is completely inconsistent. We kinda started off on the wrong foot when Emi lost her first tooth in a bag of old crayons we were saving to recycle. After that it kinda went down hill. Sometimes she comes on time, other times she is a few days late. Sometimes she even shows up and the kiddo has forgotten to put the tooth under the pillow and she has to leave a note. Sometimes she leaves some cold hard "CASH", other times its a little loose change. It has kinda become the family joke. In her defense, it does get confusing when you've got multiple kids losing teeth and they don't always require mom and dad's help in removing them. Emi just finished her baby teeth, Abby is in the middle and Lizzie is just beginning. It is a lot for the tooth fairy to keep up. I have a friend whose tooth fairy leaves a Sacajawea Gold Dollar every time. Their tooth fairy must keep a couple of rolls handy solely for the purpose. Maybe I should suggest that to our tooth fairy. Actually, if I were to start all over I might request the tooth fairy come for the first tooth only. She could leave a larger amount to compensate...:)

carla said...

that was a very cute story. i had to tear wendi away from the screen so that she wouldn't realize that the tooth fairy is not real. she was so excited and wanted to read all about the tooth fairy. i finally had to tell her that it was private. whew!

Alisha said...

I love your quotes and stories. Good job to you Mommy for pulling that one off. I was doing good with Jayden until she read the Junie B. Jones book about tooth fairies. Keep it away from Austin for a while.

Momma Strain said...

LOL i love it!!! quick thinking!!

WendyJ said...

Too funny! He's a great detective. Our oldest doesn't want to give up her teeth, so she has collected 8 teeth so far, and will cash them in to the tooth fairy all at the same time.

Stephanie said...

I agree with Meagan! That's just awesome! We moms wear all kind of hats...and sometimes even wings!

Heidi said...

That is just TOO funny!! I was laughing out loud! Watch, the tooth just might show up still! Tyler found one of his in a bag in a drawer in our room when he was little, and when he asked about it, I said we asked the tooth fairy if we could keep it for a keepsake, and that satisfied him!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. What's up with that tooth fairy, anyway? I swear she was much better when I was a kid. My kids have learned that she's pretty hit and miss.

Monica said...

I was smiling the entire time I read this! SOOO great. I'm with Meagan - the sniffing was a nice touch. :o) What a cutie you have. So curious.